No Man's Sky Planet Name Generator
This page is here to generate names for planets in the upcoming game No Man's Sky. These names are not representative of the pre-generated names that are going to be in the game.
There are two types of names. Standard Names and Coded Names.
Standard Names are randomly generated. A list of name parts is retrieved. When this option is used the generator will pick a pattern, and then some words to fill in that pattern. The result is a randomly generated name.
Coded Names take information that you have given and generates a meaningful name. There are 4 major parts to a name: Solar Prefix, Solar Index, Planetary Index, and Planetary Suffix.
The Solar Prefix gives information to what the planet's star is like. Possible values are:
- BI - Binary System
- DW - Dwarf Star
- G - Giant Star
- NU - Neutron Star
- P - Pulsar
- SG - Supergiant
The Solar Index informs the reader of the star's colour. In the case of a binary system, only the first letter of each colour is used.
- RE - Red
- OG - Orange
- YE - Yellow
- WH - White
- BL - Blue
The Planetary Index describes the planet itself. It consists of three didgits, each describing a different aspect.
- The first digit describes the size of the planet. It ranges from 0 (tiny) to 9 (humongous)
- The second digit indicates the climate; from 0 (cold and icy) to 9 (hot and covered in lava)
- The third digit specifies the surivability. It's range goes from 0 (absolutely perfect) to 9 (unable to support life, terraforming not worth it)
The Planetary Suffix gives further information on the planet.
- a - Alcoholic atmosphere, oceans, or environment
- l - Supports life
- q - Supports complex life
- r - Radioactive atmosphere, oceans, or environment
- x - Toxic atmosphere, oceans, or environment